[p2p-research] Drone hacking

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 17:22:40 CET 2009

Interesting the implicit hope this is true in all these notes from an
otherwise skeptical crowd.  Do we really think that US/NATO is the bad
guys?

Regardless, the Pentagon has whole units of disinformation that reveal and
move information at will.  No doubt a way to target and track high value
assets is to tell them to turn on a passive dish which can easily be seen by
air assets.  I've known people who have gone to work at CIA. They aren't
stupid.  They recruit the best young minds from the very top institutions
regularly...and are quite successful at doing it.

There was an old story a few years ago that a standard radar detector in a
cockpit could smoke out a 30 million dollar radar in an F-14.  Sure enough,
cheap radar detectors (which are easily readable) started appearing in
cockpits in Syria, Iraq, etc.  It made tracking and understanding the
awareness of the enemy pilots trivial.

I'd hate to be associated with any cell phone or radio signal that has been
within 3 km of an active dish in the last 4 years.  Those folks are
targets.

The truth is, the Predator is turning the tide in Afghanistan.  Leaders
cannot communicate with troops or even spend daylight hours outside.  Pretty
miserable way to live for 8 or 10 years while new schools get built, police
get trained, army officers get taught about fighting corruption, etc.

Ryan

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Andy Robinson <ldxar1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably as well that the nuke idea is a no-go... *shudders*
>
> Actually, since 911 (which itself was not exactly planned on the scale it
> happened), insurgents seem to have been avoiding 'mass destruction' attacks
> and instead concentrating on doing things which are extremely cheap but
> cause a lot of fear and disruption.  Including feeding fake "plots" to US
> interrogators so the US itself causes immense disruption and fear by locking
> down key sites at important times, or by media stories that some venue is
> about to be blown up.
>
> The whole insurgent model in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere is based on
> imposing costs with minimum expense.  At present, air warfare is the last
> real advantage of high-cost, high-tech warfare, so major powers can't yet be
> defeated, just fought to a standstill and demoralised.  I expect
> countermeasures are already being designed, some of them ironically enough
> by the US military.  In particular, it may only be time before EMP weapons
> are easily available and portable, after which technological advantages
> disappear - anything relying on hi-tech can be EMP zapped and scrambled (cf
> Battlestar Galactica).  I also just saw a story about a kid who got a
> phone-camera into space and photographed the earth's axis in an $80 science
> project - who knows what else might eventually be put up in high orbit in a
> similar way.  Then there's the lower-tech version of drones, namely
> remote-control.  This has already been used in a DMKP(C) plot reputedly.
>
> Supposedly the reason the drones don't have encryption is the quantity and
> speed of visual data needed.  Time will tell if they can be hacked as well.
> There's a passage in Timothy Zahn's "Outbound Flight" where Grand Admiral
> Thrawn manages to misdirect a fleet of drone droids by recording and copying
> the command signals.  In any case, I don't think drones are a big
> advancement in warfare.  Their functionality is basically the same as a
> bomber, and the reason they're used is distinctly "full spectrum" - namely,
> they avoid the risk of a pilot being shot down and captured in countries
> America isn't meant to be in to begin with.  They are also doubtless
> generating the pork-barrelling of a big section of the military-industrial
> complex.

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham