[p2p-research] an update on technical open video projects

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 17:42:00 CET 2009

from Valentin:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Valentin Spirik <valentin.spirik at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: Insight share a Participatory Video project
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Cc: Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com>, Synnove Mathe <
synnove.mathe at gmail.com>, jose ramos <actionforesight at gmail.com>

Having been at the last Blender conference and following the development of
specially the Blender VSE (Video Sequence Editor) I am pretty optimistic
that most if not all points you mention (EDLs) will be there in Blender
either around June this year or a year later. Reason: the open movie
projects and the development roadmap. (The current stable Blender 2.49b now
already allows you to import FCP timelines!)

Blender 2.5 will be much easier to learn for new users (the interface now
really is "sexy") and since Blender works on all platforms from my point of
view it seems to be the best tool of choice for editing and mass
collaboration - still only a minority is using Linux, this will change of
course, until then for me a compromise where I only use Linux, Blender etc
and others that I might be working with are using Mac/Windows and Blender is
ok for me. Of course every project is different and has its own philosophy
and priorities...!

Blender 2.5 development roadmap:

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/

Also interesting: (new) Blender color management ("linear workflow"):

http://www.blendernation.com/blender-2-5-color-management/

The current Blender foundation open movie project is durian
http://durian.blender.org/ - this is the one used to test Blender 2.5 > 2.6.
(All done around mid 2010.)

After that there will project Mango, focusing on compositing/SFX and making
Blender 4K ready. (All done around mid 2011.)

I think after Durian (mid 2010) or the latest after Mango a year later,
Blender 2.6/7 will see a large increase in users, not only for 3D, but also
for video post production! One disadvantage of all the other Linux NLEs is
that they (currently) only work on Linux. Maybe that's ok, but I very much
like the idea of being able to open a .blend file *anywhere* on *any PC*
that I or someone else might happen to work with...!

And of course there is now the Ubuntu based openArtist
http://openartisthq.org/ - see the Vid menu for all open-source NLE
solutions, they should all be ready to use out of the box. The related P2P
blog entry:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/new-version-of-openartist-released-an-annotated-multimedia-linux-distro-with-focus-on-ease-of-use/2009/12/06

If you haven't done it yet I'd recommend talking to the Blender VSE
developers. Maybe you can collaborate in some way or they can help you out
with a specific feature or some piece of information that you might need?
After visiting the Blender institute and seeing those people working I am
more impressed than ever by this project - there are some really incredibly
talented people working there...

Valentin

indiworks.blip.tv

indiworks.wordpress.com