[p2p-research] Abundance Destroys Profit [was: Tick, tock, tick, tock… BING]

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 00:54:08 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:42 PM, J. Andrew Rogers
<reality.miner at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > There are obvious dividends to be part of real free trade system with
> high
> > subsidies from a federal source. Even without high dollar flows directly,
> > places like Nevada get free roads, free police, military, etc. for places
> > their size.
>

> Nevada pays for its own road and highways and its own police. Oddly
> enough, it is even has international ports and customs zones.
>
> Nevada has a large highway network that allows very heavy cargo loads
> (it is a major trucking corridor). It is 40% the size of California's
> in terms of miles. By law, Nevada's roads are paid for entirely by
> State gas taxes and DMV fees. Federal highway funds contribute another
> 15%, but since those are taken from the state *at a loss*, it really
> isn't "free".
>
> So where are all these supposed subsidies?  I think it is fair to say
> that the Federal tax outflow is very real.

Oil taxes do pay a big chunk of road construction...but the roads were
financed by the Feds at cheap interest rates Nevada would never see by
itself.

The real industry of the state is vice...and the subsidy was, in part,
allowing it.  Doesn't bother me, but it is what it is.  It has been
subsidized by cheap federal power supplies from dams, Nellis air base, huge
water grants, huge highway grants, etc.