[p2p-research] Abundance Destroys Profit [was: Tick, tock, tick, tock… BING]

J. Andrew Rogers reality.miner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 00:42:13 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are obvious dividends to be part of real free trade system with high
> subsidies from a federal source. Even without high dollar flows directly,
> places like Nevada get free roads, free police, military, etc. for places
> their size.

Nevada pays for its own road and highways and its own police. Oddly
enough, it is even has international ports and customs zones.

Nevada has a large highway network that allows very heavy cargo loads
(it is a major trucking corridor). It is 40% the size of California's
in terms of miles. By law, Nevada's roads are paid for entirely by
State gas taxes and DMV fees. Federal highway funds contribute another
15%, but since those are taken from the state *at a loss*, it really
isn't "free".

So where are all these supposed subsidies?  I think it is fair to say
that the Federal tax outflow is very real.

--
J. Andrew Rogers
realityminer.blogspot.com