[p2p-research] Abundance Destroys Profit [was: Tick, tock, tick, tock… BING]

J. Andrew Rogers reality.miner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 18:21:03 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope you are right, but it isn't the story I hear.  It would be great to
> kill off the farm subsidy.  I've been told by Senate staffers it will be the
> last pork to ever be cut.  The farm lobby owns the Senate (along with the
> banking lobby).

I don't expect it to be cut, just stating it could be without nearly
as much impact as some might claim. New Zealand showed the way.

> Still, having Nevada "matter" in a national election seems, in democratic
> terms, pretty backward.  It has a tiny franction of the population of
> Calfiornia all settled in Los Vegas...effectively a Californian (and New
> York crime family) invention.

Nevada has a middling population for a US State.  A number of US
states in New England, the Midwest, and elsewhere have significantly
smaller populations. In any case, you will appreciate the current
state of affairs more in the future since the South is going to be the
dominant population center while places like New England depopulate.

There are only two metro areas in Nevada because ~90% of the land (and
growing) is under Federal control. There is no more room and the
Federal government refuses to relinquish control, even unmanaged land
with no Federal purpose (~40% of the state), under any circumstances
for any price. The way cities in Nevada grow is by buying a big piece
of land elsewhere in the State and trading it for a small piece of
Federal land adjacent to an existing city. There is simply not enough
private land for a sustainable economy in most of Nevada, and in some
counties the property tax base is ~1-2% of the actual property in the
county.

This pattern is why the mountain West is the most urbanized region of
the US outside of the NYC-Boston corridor and, compounded by a
historical pattern of abuses of power and bad behavior going back a
century and a half, explains why there is a strong anti-Federal streak
and distrust of government in western politics. The difference now is
that it is (demographically) very young and rapidly growing region of
the US instead of a backwater without political influence.

--
J. Andrew Rogers
realityminer.blogspot.com