[p2p-research] blue economy book; beyond scarcity through economies of scope

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 07:42:38 CET 2009

Hi Roberto;

you may have seen how I serialized your essay on abundance

could you have a look at http://p2pfoundation.net/Blue_Economy

I asked Ryan to look into it; but extra commentary for publication in our
blog would be appreciated

Michel

"

Up to now, the model driving our economies depended on perpetual growth,
requiring ever more resources and investments. This model has inherent
flaws. It leads to unjust societies, highly skewed and exploitative
economies, and devastated ecosystems. The business model that defines
corporate environmental responsibility in terms of size of investment, and
defines corporate success as increased shareholder value and grandiose
executive compensation, must be replaced. The new economy must be more
effective and more collaborative. It must become truly sustainable,
introducing innovations that permit less investment, generate more revenues,
and build the strengths of a community and builds up social capital - not
debt. This is the business framework that will drive the new Blue Economy.
This is the framework that will seek out and define true sustainability for
all living species on Earth.

The prevailing economic model predicates that scarcity is the major
limitation. Industry searches for ever higher agricultural yields and
manufactory outputs, demanding that the Earth and human labor produce more.
We must re-evaluate this notion and begin to more fully utilize what the
Earth and labor produce, rather than demanding more materials and more
output. It is time to end the insatiable quest for ever lower costs that
drives business towards economies of scale through egamergers and
acquisitions financed by billion dollar loans. It is time to adopt
broad-based innovative strategies that generate multiple revenues and
greater cash flows while creating more jobs. It is time for a Blue Economy."

--
Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: