[p2p-research] Open patents for development

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 05:01:45 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Kevin Flanagan <kev.flanagan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> With reference to the blog post - 'Open up patents for development and
> mitigating climate change: a concrete proposal'
>
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/open-up-patents-for-development-and-mitigating-climate-change-a-concrete-proposal/2009/12/13
>
> Is the developed world too entrenched in its ways for more radical
> adoption of peer production?

India is soul-searching now because it cannot innovate.  It is too
bureaucratic.  The outcome of that soul-searching will probably define much
of the future.  If they decide to become efficient outside of corporate
spheres, they may move toward the sort of radical adoption of peer
production you seem to intimate.

I think Japan is the most interesting country in terms of likely radical
social change.  India is probably the most likely P2P revolutionary
society.  They have the means, the systems, the capacity, possible the
democratic and egalitarian ideals.  The question is, can they overcome the
19th century bureaucracy that keeps the trains running.  I tend to doubt
they can.  Short of something like a sustained war, I just don't see them
changing their core systems of basic employment and social stability--that
is, there political bureaucracy.  Without such change, they simply won't
innovate.