[p2p-research] Tick, tock, tick, tock… BING

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 14:09:11 CET 2009

Here is the current scenario as I see it:

1. Technology has made labor "abundant."  As opposed to the era of the Great
Plague (1350) when capitalism started and modern technology took off, we
don't have a rarity of labor, we have far too much.

2. Sensing this, consumers over-consumed credit.  They had a party.

3. Short-term biases in compensation caused by faulty theories of management
and banking led executives to focus on the short-term and to ignore market
realities of point 2.

4. Technology reallocated these risks globally hiding the problem for a long
time.

5. Consumers and small businesses sensing a sea change stopped consuming.
They cannot expand their earnings because demand is slow.

6. People with high skills continued to earn.  Those with low skills became
poor.  Skill is a function of value/demand.

7. With falling demand, credit became dysfunctional.  Even with large
monetary expansions, there is deflation--violating all monetarism and
proving it false in several important circumstances of capitalism.

8. We now have abundant labor with technology able to make it more abundant
still.

Logical outcome: Long term deflation, high unemployment and rapidly falling
populations as nations reach wealth.  Technology will accelerate because
labor is so unattractive it is functioning like a low-labor environment.
That is, costs of hiring people at a dignified wage cannot be justified.

--
Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham