[p2p-research] Fwd: link - networks of trust Fwd: Parallel Projects

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:52:31 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Subject: link - networks of trust Fwd: Parallel Projects
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

http://www.cbloom.com/NoT.html

did not find it on
p2pf<http://www.google.be/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fp2pfoundation.net+Charles+Bloom&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:nl:official&client=firefox-a>-
of interest ?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adam Harper <harpereaves at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM
Subject: Parallel Projects
To: Ripple users <rippleusers at googlegroups.com>
Cc: mooatr at gmail.com

I apologise in advance if this has already been discussed.

As far as I can tell, ripple protocol is indeed the money system of
the future. I have been looking for it and it's brothers and sisters
for quite some time.

I would like to try to describe what I see as the "family" of
solutions of which ripple is (or will be) a part. I am doing this in
an attempt to either locate and therefore connect) or create the other
family members.

This is not something easy for my mind to label so if anyone knows
what I'm talking about, please put it in better words.

I will loosely describe the common characteristics of this family of
solutions:

1. Open Protocol
2. Absence of any central regulating authority
3. Addresses a problem of monopoly
4. Addresses the problem of information overload due to infinite
choice leading to arbitrary/confused decisions
5. Transference of some form of trust without a single leap of faith
as all transfers are peer to peer.

Maybe I should elaborate on number 4. If you want to keep your money
safe or invest it, there are very many banking services begging you to
use them. How can one possibly make an informed decision? Ripple
addresses this problem, since any service using the ripple protocol
will basically offer the same service, then it is only a matter of
choosing (if necessary) between the people you know and trust.

The purpose of ripple (as I see it) is to transfer value via
decentralised (anarchist) principles.
The only other "family members" I have been able to identify
conceptually (although I have not been able to locate as healthy a
project as this one) so far are for the transfer of information, and
for the transfer of force.

The closest description of the "information" equivalent of ripple I
have found is http://www.cbloom.com/NoT.html although I disagree with
the author on quite a few points.

Just as ripple only allows transfers between (indirectly) connected
and trusting users, so would Charles Bloom's Network of Trust, filter
out all content that was not indirectly trusted. When you do a search
and it comes up with a site that is so completely useless that you
don't even want it to be connected to YOUR internet, you flag it, and
everyone in your network blocks the creator of that website or
content. The guy can't just make a new email address because the
people who blocked him would have been either his friends or their
friends. Imagine a clean and tidy personal internet...

Anyone able to actually make that project happen, or know where it is
already happening?

The other sibling, for the transfer of force is to address the current
monopoly our governments have over the use of violence. Basically,
this sibling seeks to demonopolise what we might call "Government".
Not by asking the government to take on a new model, but simply by
starting to use the new model until it simply out-competes the current
model.

I see information as the oldest member of the family (I hope you have
been able to follow the family analogy). Communication came before
trade and politics (I'm guessing) so the reason why ripple is in
"chicken and egg" is because it's parents haven't been born yet.

If we had a functioning communication web that filtered information
depending on who connected you to it, then telling everyone "ripple is
better than banks, lets all use it now" would actually have an
immediate effect.

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: