[p2p-research] Structural Unemployment... round #3527

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:47:48 CET 2009

Totally agree P2P activism doesn't need to be based in any sort of belief in
imminent doom.  Far from it.

But P2P theory is informed by structural evolutions of society.  Looking out
20-50 years these are split typically between utopian and dystopian
visions.

Not many people who are serious about the future (I'm not sure if I'd put
Rifkin in that camp or not...he seems more a salesman than a futurist...sort
of like Faith Popcorn or Al Gore) see things contining as now.

Will 2030 be more or less different from 2010 than 1990?  If one goes back
to 1990, most of the major issues on the agenda today were not prominent
issues then.  If one buys into social acceleration, we begin to see 2050 as
very different from now compared to 1970.  I remember 1970 quite well...3
television channels, no computers, 35 cent gas, no knowledge of genetics,
robotics or nanotechnology to speak of...etc.  I also remember 1990
extremely well.  And I would say that now is incredibly different...though
significantly similar as well.

My guess is that 2030 will look quite different from 2010.  If repealing the
minimum wage is our big idea for response, I doubt we'll be up to the
challenge.

Many on this list will live to 2050...a very different world from now.
People are on this list I think because they care about what 2050 looks
like...and 2030.

--
Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com