[p2p-research] Social scientists build case for 'survival of the kindest'

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Dec 10 00:37:52 CET 2009

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091208155309.htm
"""
ScienceDaily (Dec. 9, 2009) — Researchers at the University of California,
Berkeley, are challenging long-held beliefs that human beings are wired to
be selfish. In a wide range of studies, social scientists are amassing a
growing body of evidence to show we are evolving to become more
compassionate and collaborative in our quest to survive and thrive.
   In contrast to "every man for himself" interpretations of Charles
Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection, Dacher Keltner, a UC
Berkeley psychologist and author of "Born to be Good: The Science of a
Meaningful Life," and his fellow social scientists are building the case
that humans are successful as a species precisely because of our nurturing,
altruistic and compassionate traits.
   They call it "survival of the kindest."
   "Because of our very vulnerable offspring, the fundamental task for human
survival and gene replication is to take care of others," said Keltner,
co-director of UC Berkeley's Greater Good Science Center. "Human beings have
survived as a species because we have evolved the capacities to care for
those in need and to cooperate. As Darwin long ago surmised, sympathy is our
strongest instinct."
"""

Also related:
"Forget Survival of the Fittest: It Is Kindness That Counts: A psychologist
probes how altruism, Darwinism and neurobiology mean that we can succeed by
not being cutthroat."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=kindness-emotions-psychology

And Alfie Kohn has long been writing on these themes:
  http://www.alfiekohn.org/

Some computer simulations by Robert Axelrod and others from almost thirty
years ago:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evolution_of_Cooperation

And one can just think about "cancer" in terms of narrow selfishness?

And even Adam Smith saw this at the start of his work in 1759: :-)
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Theory_of_Moral_Sentiments
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles
in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render
their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it, except
the pleasure of seeing it. Of this kind is pity or compassion, the emotion
we feel for the misery of others, when we either see it, or are made to
conceive it in a very lively manner. That we often derive sorrow from the
sorrows of others, is a matter of fact too obvious to require any instances
to prove it; for this sentiment, like all the other original passions of
human nature, is by no means confined to the virtuous or the humane, though
they perhaps may feel it with the most exquisite sensibility. The greatest
ruffian, the most hardened violator of the laws of society, is not
altogether without it. ..."

Anyway, some science to support P2P theory. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
http://www.beyondajoblessrecovery.org/