[p2p-research] Tick, tock, tick, tock… BING

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Dec 9 15:48:07 CET 2009

Ryan Lanham wrote:
> It seems that about 20 years from now...2030...is the real crux of so many
> things.  Growing organs on plates, AGI in AI, solving aging, robotics
> of post-human agility and capability.  If I were a futurist, that would be
> my target year--2030.  Hope I get to see it.  As absurd as it would have
> seemed to me just last year, I am with you...the world as we know it ends by
> 2030 in terms of medicine, labor, aging, AI.  If I had to guess, the most
> transformative culture will be Japan...they have the real social barriers
> while having the social discipline to change...and thus will embrace the
> change first.

Good point on Japan. They really are embracing automation as a culture.

On your point: "As absurd as it would have seemed to me just last year, I am
with you." While everyone is different, could you mention if there were any
one big thing or a few specific things you saw (robot videos?) that were
most persuasive in changing your thinking on this? Was there any particular
facts or lines of argument or articles you saw that seemed more persuasive
than others? Or was it more a gestalt from an overall rain of facts or examples?

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/