[p2p-research] Project Cybersyn

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:33:04 CET 2009

On 12/8/09, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't you think Kevin, that our present stigmergic capabilities, based on ultra low transaction and communication costs, may revive such possibilities, and replace the dream of centralized planning, by horizontal coordination, as in fact already occurs in the large peer production efforts?

Definitely.  But there's probably a limit to the scale of
coordination.  Such stigmergically organized projects must be tied,
directly or indirectly, to a market pricing system that values their
inputs.  And market pricing systems are useful for providing a system
for evaluating the most productive use of inputs, comparative demand
for different products, and the most productive of competing uses for
inputs.  I see peer production taking place within a market framework
that serves an informational function (if one of last resort).

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism