[p2p-research] Tick, tock, tick, tock… BING

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:40:11 CET 2009

On 12/8/09, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> Actually, it is hard to say. Again, global climate change is dispersed,
> slow, non-obvious, bounces back and forth (some places cool, some warm), and
> so on. But the end of economics via 3D printing, robotics, and AI seems to
> be coming on more like a slow motion Hurricaine Katrina.
>
> Oops, I guess the USA did not do much about that either. Even afterwards.
> :-(

Personally, I have no doubts about global warming and the catastrophe that
it is.  I tend to agree with you that the end of labor is understated by
comparison...but a real prospect.  The transitions to both will be
frightening.

We cannot yet imagine being replaced mentally and physically--it is beyond
our belief...even the most sci-fi of us.  More importantly, I'm sure if you
asked most leading scientists how they would feel about having a presence in
their lab or operating room that made them subordinate, they would be less
than thrilled.  That question so far has only been posed to those who turn
wrenches--and with similar results.

Part of the new MIT initative is to focus on brain co-processors so as to
minimize the threat to humans contemplating their research.  The end results
quickly become the same.  Even if you walk around "knowing" everything there
is in Wikipedia...or a machine can use that information as a human, the
differences are pretty minimal.

It seems that about 20 years from now...2030...is the real crux of so many
things.  Growing organs on plates, AGI in AI, solving aging, robotics
of post-human agility and capability.  If I were a futurist, that would be
my target year--2030.  Hope I get to see it.  As absurd as it would have
seemed to me just last year, I am with you...the world as we know it ends by
2030 in terms of medicine, labor, aging, AI.  If I had to guess, the most
transformative culture will be Japan...they have the real social barriers
while having the social discipline to change...and thus will embrace the
change first.

Ryan