[p2p-research] P2PU: Sharing Nicely

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Dec 8 04:57:56 CET 2009

 From a blog run by (Jan) Philipp Schmidt:
   http://bokaap.net/about/
"""
Very Short Bio
   (Jan) Philipp Schmidt is Director and co-founder of the Peer 2 Peer
University, the original free and open online university and based in Cape
Town. He is a board member of the OpenCourseWare Consortium, and holds a
Shuttleworth Foundation fellowship. He has implemented OpenCourseWare
projects at the University of the Western Cape and the United Nations
University MERIT. He is an open education activist and researcher and
doesn’t like writing about himself in the third person.
In June 2009, I received a Shuttleworth Foundation fellowship to get the
Peer 2 Peer University up and running. The fellowship is structured in an
unusual and very clever way that encourages (social) entrepreneurship.
Fellows are able to reinvest some of their grant money (which they could
also pay themselves as salary) to get access to additional funds. This
investment is then multiplied by the foundation if the project is approved.
It’s a great way to bootstrap new projects and I wrote a blog post about it.
   P2PU is taking up most of my time and I created a separate page (P2PU 360
Degrees) that gives more background and highlights some of my thinking
around turning a “dangerous idea” into a paradigm shifting initiative.
   Besides P2PU, I am involved in a number of things that broadly fall into
the area of open collaborative resources. I have a position at the
University of the Western Cape - where I do research and run projects in the
area of open education; and work with the United Nations University MERIT
where I am involved in research on Wikipedia as part of the Collaborative
Creativity Group. I am also a board member of the OpenCourseWare Consortium,
occasionally collaborate with the Mozilla Education team, and co-organised
the Open Everything Cape Town event.
"""

Anyway, maybe someone Michel might want to talk to?

(Antoine van Gelder, who has done OLPC things in South Africa, and who is
now working on "afrimesh", mentioned Philipp's site to me when I mentioned
this P2P list to him. I'll post a separate note on afrimesh.)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/