[p2p-research] Google gets into the DNS business

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun Dec 6 17:45:17 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 10:43:54 AM -0500, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:

> This may reflect a deeper shift in our society. For most people, the
> Google corporation is now effectively the de-facto government that
> structures their lives online. So, how can we make Google a good
> government? :-)

With all respect, this is the wrong question. The question is "how can
we make peple realize that a) there's no need for such a government,
b) it's in everybody's interest to take management of their
communications in their own hands?"

> Well, one could also put a willingness to use Google for convenience
> or free-of-direct cost down to "digital fatalism" in just assuming
> you have no privacy online.

What I see is lots of people going "I'd rather be tortured than learn
how to choose and configure software, so I'll fatalistically go for
total loss of privacy here and now, never mind 2019"

> Of course, another issue is that digital evidence is fairly trivial
> to fabricate.

Yes, this is a serious problem, but not really the one we started
from, is it?

Even the discourse about limiting corporation rights (which is really
interesting for me, thanks Michel for the link!)... I am not sure how
relevant it is to this other one. If it's already possible (at the
software level, physical infrastructure is another issue) to
communicate without multinationals, why discuss how they should be
regulated, in this context at least? I mean, they should be regulated
for a lot of reasons, but having reliable and easy to use email is
definitely not one of them.

	   Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84