[p2p-research] interview on cuba's agricultural transformation (new localism)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Dec 5 17:11:08 CET 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
> This is an interesting interview, worth listening to, by an American woman
> who travelled to Cuba to see how American communities could learn from its
> successes ...
>
> Sam, it would be nice if you had time to embed the code and add some
> comments, relating it to your own experiences, if you have time,
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7i6roVB5MI

It's great to see a talk show about something important. :-)

The web site of the person interviewed:
  http://www.communitysolution.org/

If there is one thing this shows from Cuba's experience (even as they warn
it is a misintepretation :-), it is that even if "Peak Oil" was true, a
nation can deal with it very straighforwardly (with a rough transition of a
couple years, and some suffering, admittedly, but overall, coming out from
that transition in a happier place). So, even in this "worst case", Peak Oil
was not a problem of the magnitude that many say it is. To be clear, even in
the worst case of changing from an economy based on oil to an economy  based
on something else in a matter of a couple years is an issue, and a big issue
with widespread implications, but it is not an "end of civilization" issue.
Of course, they do raise the issue that Cuba had stronger local communities.
Still, one might hope the USA would respond to that with its own strengths
and weaknesses.

By the way, related to their theme:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobless_recovery#Towards_a_new_localism_emphasizing_community
But, you can see there on that page a lot more options as well.

I think the resource depletion issue leading to "consume less" is
misleading, even if there is truth to it -- because it misses the big
picture of the abundance we can have even if it may be good in general for a
variety of reasons. Again, see Julian Simon's "The Ultimate Resource" (being
the human imagination).

The host (Janaia Donaldson) spins through a list of worries in a few seconds
(at around 11:31): "That's part of the point. If it were only oil, then we
could go to some of these other solutions. But it is also freshwater,
topsoil, our fisheries, ... the oceans, ... we're looking at resource
depletion all over in lots of levels, so the only single answer that comes
back to that is, use less, consume less [and live more locally which
consumes in its own way and nourishes more on different levels.]"

And then by implication, presumably we should have population control?

One needs to be careful to distinguish between the idea of consume *less*
versus produce and consume *differently*.

One by one:
* freshwater -- we have techniques for desalination, water recycling,
biological water treatment, atmospheric condensation, and alternatives to
using water in various processes or even locating factories and homes in
various areas;
* topsoil -- grinding up rocks, produces all the organic fertilizer you
want, in conjunction with organic matter preserving methods, and perhaps
including perhaps composting human wastes;
   http://www.remineralize.org/
* fisheries -- OK, we are overfishing in many areas as a global society, but
we can also make the oceans more productive with nutrients (one benefit of
OTEC energy plants), and we can produce lots of vegetarian food in a variety
of ways if we focus less on eating meat; and
* oceans -- sure, we need regulation on ocean dumping, ocean pollution, and
so on, but the oceans are still vast and could be homes to literally tens of
billions of people on the surface or undersea using seasteads and so on. And
then there is outer space for more living area.

The person being interviewed (Megan Quinn) then says "And really there is no
combination of alternatives that's going to allow us to continue consuming
as we have been. And even if there were alternatives, does this justify our
use of them? Is this making us happy? So what is the purpose of consuming
these fuels? And is it giving us what it promised? I don't think so. I think
there is a better way."

There is obviously a lot of truth to that, because people in industrialized
countries like the USA that have traded community for lots of stuff are
generally less happy than in either materially poor countries that still
have intact families and health communities or in industrialized countries
(like the Netherlands) that have focused more on a balance of individual
material and social community things. But, it is a mistake to then
generalize from that to thinking there is only one way to have an advanced
technology (as seems to be done later). The fact is more that the
technological infrastructure around us has been built to reflect elitist and
  exploitive values in many areas, and that we could build a different (and
maybe even more advanced) technology that reflected different values. But,
they may not be conscious of that, just assuming that technology is all of
one thing. The 1970s Appropriate Technology movement by EF Schumacher at
least admitted to the possibility we could have better technology more
compatible with different economic values, but, I'd suggest, that plan was
not far reaching enough. We are seeing, with open manufacturing and other
ideas, a whole new resurgence of taking moder possibilities and recasting
them in all sorts of new ways (like RepRap or the Maker scene or
agricultural robotics to do organic agriculture).

The host goes on (before Megan Quinn outlines something): "What's that
vision? What's that better life on the other side? Where we are more
connected? Where we're more local? Where things are more slowed down? Where
we have time again?"

I'm all for local solutions. I'm all for connectivity. I'm all for better
solutions. I'm all for conserving things for future generations. I'm all for
focusing on a life that is beyond acquiring material possessions (like
valuing community and experience more). I'm all for talking about
transformation and social equity. *But*, one needs to be careful to not have
an anti-life message slip into all that. As well as an anti-technology one,
too, where one talks about *less* instead of *different*. (Even if different
may mean less of some things while it might mean more of something else.)

I've talked to one young "environmentalist" (with a degree now in it) who is
anti-life in that sense (and wanting to see human populations drop a lot).
I'd suggest such people are anti-life for humans, obviously (although they
might argue that there is no alternative if we are to survive sustainably,
and so they are pro-life in that sense in their own eyes, even if I disagree
with their assessment of technology's possibilities). But, they are also
anti-life for the biosphere, because trillions of people living in space
habitats someday would mean that the biosphere would be brought with them,
and so would expand enormously. I think there is a central denial of
possibility there, which is justified in part by how technology is often
linked with capitalism and its ravages. We made need different technology
that better reflects social values and demands of a growing population, but
that is not the same as saying we need less technology and less people
(which is what a focus on consume less often leads to).

Here is one example of the difference. Megan Quinn says she estimates
between 25% and 50% of people will have to become involved with agriculture
in some way (maybe not all on the farm?) if you take away tractors and
replace it with human labor. But, what about agricultural robots powered by
solar panels? We *have* agricultural robots now. And we can run tractors off
of wood gas or electricity (as I posted on earlier). So, that statement is
completely at odds with on the ground technological possibilities right now.

Again, I am all for gardening. I'm all for everyone who wants to be a farmer
getting  that chance -- it is a wonderful soulful thing to produce food in
an organic manner that conserves natural resources, protects the environment
from pollution, and feeds neighbors -- it can be, overall, a wonderful,
joyful thing. But, to put 50% of the population back to work doing
repetitive manual labor when we have robots and we have electric tractors
and most people would rather do other things it seems, that just seems to be
the dark side of liberalism -- the fascist side that conservatives rightly
recoil in horror from (including how it was used during China's Cultural
Revolution and Russia's Stalinist revolution, where intellectuals were
"reeducated" in the fields and farms). Maybe most intellectuals do need to
be reeducated (school has done so much damage), and being in nature might
help, but farms themselves are essentially factories, not nature.

Again for reference, a vegetarian diet would mean about 75% of US
agriculture was unneeded, to begin with:
"The Truth About Land Use in the United States"
http://www.westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm

And I'm not saying all that because Megan Quinn said something
uncomplimentary about people like me: :-) "[Host: We've moved from a blue
collar to an information technology world.] Where most people really aren't
producing anything of real value. It's all this "in your head" and on the
computer but what do you eat? What sustains you? People are going to be more
engaged in directly sustaining themselves, which is how humans have been
doing it for millions of years."

I'm actually all for local production -- like with 3D printers and open
manufacturing. But, there is the idea of dismissing all our future
possibilities, as well as our present ones (like agricultural robots), many
of which may come about through information technology.
   http://www.unibots.com/Agricultural_Robotics_Portal.htm

Information technology can have a dark side -- issues related to the
"Singularity" for example, but to address them, one has to engage them in
some way (including, admittedly, perhaps by saying there is some better way
of focusing on human face-to-face community than too much technology of the
wrong sorts driven by capitalism and a concentration of wealth). Otherwise
all the nice local communities are going to get overwhelmed by military
robots or something even worse in a couple of decades.

So, there is a huge problem with people talking about the future of
economics and society without a good understanding of what is possible in
terms of science and technology. Or even what is out there right now.

More people may help us invent and implement new and better solutions. One
of my posts on that:
"[p2p-research] Peak Population crisis (was Re: Japan's Demographic Crisis)"

http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-August/004174.html

What we really need is a convergence between the well meant social side of
what Megan Quinn says and our technical possibilities. It is an issue that
our society is still wrestling with, and may be for a long time. And it
drifts into all sorts of broader issues; for example, "Technoprogressivism":
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technoprogressivism

Anyway, so, this video is a little snapshot about both what is right and
what is wrong with the environmental movement, the Green party, and so on.

And nothing said there specifically directly addresses the host's point
about of all the local farmers at a recent gathering (in the USA), only one
was making it economically. That's what you might expect from capitalism in
a mature industry with profit squeezed out. Why talk about everyone becoming
a farmer, as opposed to just making farming work economically for the people
who really want to do it? Megan Quinn does mention farmers get more pay than
an engineer or scientist in Cuba. But, what about moving beyond wages
entirely to a gift economy (or other aspects of peer production of a shared
commons) or a basic income? So, actually, there is a very conservative
notion of work and control of capital control there they may not recognize
yet.  Again, as Bob Black said, consider Megan Quinn cheerfully saying 50%
of the population will go back to farming in old-fashioned ways, and compare