[p2p-research] Google gets into the DNS business

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 4 08:41:00 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 06:04:37PM -0700, Matt Boggs wrote:
> While I'm on my Google wave...no pun intended.
>
> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/03/pondering-googles-move-into-the-dns-business/

It is ridiculous that people would willingly give over more and
more of their services to a single commercial entity, which at
worst is a one stop shop for the TLA of your choice, government
subpoena or data mining for marketing purposes.

Running your own caching DNS resolver is a) trivial b) the only
way to prevent your ISP monkeying with your DNS queries trivially.
(I reside in a country which must record connection info by law,
and block sites in a blacklist, currently implemented via DNS).

The only way to make sure your ISP is not sniffing or altering
your data in transit is to route all your traffic through a
VPN (e.g. OpenVPN) tunnel to a (V)server, preferably in a different
jurisdiction.