[p2p-research] Ted Leung on Design and Commons-based Production

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 03:56:34 CEST 2009

Another issue is not to see peer production processes 'in isolation'

if we look at free software, we see it is the companies that pay attention
to the 'last mile of design', and von Hippel says something similar in his
book.  The open design communities themselves are less interested in  the
'commercial design' phase, because they don't need to sell, and have
sufficient technical skills to use the programs/products in other ways.

So my take is that we can have open design of the innards, while
market-oriented companies can still compete on the outward designs ...

I don't see that as a 'problem', but rather as a complementary ecology.

Michel

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: