[p2p-research] Workshop on Media Ecologies: Q&A: Sam Rose

Nathan Cravens knuggy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 03:40:37 CEST 2009

I assume Smári's research in presenting Industry 2.0 will cover these topics
in full--as much as one presentation can possibly. I suspect between the
cognitive capacities of Smári, Sam, and Paul F. the vital infrastructural
aspects would be well represented, discussed, for further integrated
development. I mention these names as not to suggest anyone's views would be
less comprehensive, but because I know theirs to be so in my view.

This is the present draft I presented; written before the conversation went
in this direction here; for Michel and Phoebe to final filter:

 Media Ecologies: Workshops on Collaborative Platforms, Social & Material
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATsf-IaJ1pQxZGcyanpkZnRfMjc1aGN2YzdnZ2Q&hl=en
""
*Panel Questions*

What are the best known solutions or resources to solve the issue of...?

   - Water
   - Food
   - Energy
   - Housing
   - Transport & Distribution
   - Urban and Suburban Regeneration

Now that we've determined the solutions or resources to place our attention,
what standards can we come to consensus on? (This may include agreeing on
more than one standard per category.)

How will we manage and distribute resources as they become increasingly
common property, unable to use mechanisms of exchange trade such as wage
labor, barter, or currency?

   - Life must be a right. Therefore, the inability to 'earn' a living must
   not prevent anyone from living a comfortable life, as our moral duty ensures
   everyone, at minimum: access to neutral Internet, the ability to personally
   create or possess more than adequate water, food, housing, and protective
   clothing with the means to sustain them in a way that nurtures planetary
   ecologies and human sincerity.

""

I hope we make a variety of contacts to nurture during and after this
workshop to plan for the week long conference to come; which will discuss
what areas our developer network has created and used in practice: how areas
were integrated with the projects (and related networks) presented at the
workshop and the variety of others areas to secure these various
developments.

For those not immersed in this topic area for years as many of us have, it
will be easy to get lost, and I suspect much of what is said will be
difficult to translate in such a short amount of time. So long as we keep
the interest in our neighbor's projects before and after the workshop and
conferences to come, we'll no doubt make lots of mistakes and
misinterpretations, but since I can already see clearly enough the outcome
of these events from the personal discussions and from the talks at p2p
research and the open manufacturing community, I believe we'll make it just
fine.

I would be overly optimistic were it not for my recent run-in with the
authorities at the university campus (known as Stephen F. Austin State
University) I befriended this past year or to do out-of-enrollment study.
This activity has finally caught up with me, as I was given a criminal
trespass warning for occupying the music building, enjoying the gifts of its
air conditioning and wifi. I was accused of "setting up residence" and
"lying about being a student" because as I was told 'I know what being a
student means' after occupying that space on the second night, from the
officer's perspective and that officer and sargent's consensus view. After
asking, I was told even if I were a student, I would be asked to leave that
space at night. (Although I doubt that would have been true in practice) So
now I'm unable to enter this campus without proving my case for the chief of
police to revoke my occupational impermissibility. I've had chats with the
philosophers at the university when I first arrived, with some
disappointment as they seem or act too busy to discuss anything, and I got
to know a librarian rather well. . . So I'll ask if these folk can help me
at all.

I'm open to going elsewhere that might better appreciate what I'm doing. I'd
imagine that its probably a struggle enough caring for yourselves. . .

Just when I've become comfortable being perceived as scum in this world. . .
someone with a badge decided to act on it. . .

I apologize for not appropriately separating my personal experiences from
creating an integrated collaborative platform. I only hope such a personal
story can relate to your own similar incidents and further express the
drives that fuel our works.

Nathan