[p2p-research] Workshop on Media Ecologies: Q&A: Sam Rose

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:50:00 CEST 2009

I think the demonstration is a good idea.  Robots are the present and
future of production in many ways.  This conference is not so much
about robots, but I find that showing people videos of the candyfab
and then the more usable tools is  a great way to make an impact when
'recruiting' to the OS bandwagon cheer section.

This conference seems to be leaning towards facilitating cooperation
and collaboration.  I will be working on something more along the
lines of my experience working with 100s of client organizations and
how they have succeeded in developing cultures of cooperation when
collaborating on complex projects over distances.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Nathan Cravens<knuggy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The goal is to do anything remotely!
>> >

>> Our goal here is to first help people address the basic needs for
>> energy, food, shelter, and general physiological and psychological
>> survival using open source software and technology. Retorifitting
>> existing urban infrastructure, putting vacant land and buildings to
>> use, localizing food production, that sort of thing. I frankly way too
>> busy with that work to rise the challenge of the remote paper folding
>> robot.
>
> Yes, I'm with you there Sam, but an elderly population like Japan in the
> coming decades, assuming workers are not imported, these things must be done
> remotely, then automated.
> Folding paper is just one example...
>
> Perhaps people in the hackerspace or fab lab community would present
> something like this since they have the ability to pool more resources.
>
> I'm rather disappointed that no one thus far finds such a demonstration all
> that important. We need robotics to do tasks people would rather not do to
> keep essential functions so it is practical to apply peer production
> universally, where it is possible to manage all affairs asynchronously.

Alex
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.- Socrates