[p2p-research] Workshop on Media Ecologies: Q&A: Sam Rose

Nathan Cravens knuggy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:25:57 CEST 2009

> > The goal is to do anything remotely!
> >

> Our goal here is to first help people address the basic needs for
> energy, food, shelter, and general physiological and psychological
> survival using open source software and technology. Retorifitting
> existing urban infrastructure, putting vacant land and buildings to
> use, localizing food production, that sort of thing. I frankly way too
> busy with that work to rise the challenge of the remote paper folding
> robot.

Yes, I'm with you there Sam, but an elderly population like Japan in the
coming decades, assuming workers are not imported, these things must be done
remotely, then automated.
Folding paper is just one example...

Perhaps people in the hackerspace or fab lab community would present
something like this since they have the ability to pool more resources.

I'm rather disappointed that no one thus far finds such a demonstration all
that important. We need robotics to do tasks people would rather not do to
keep essential functions so it is practical to apply peer production
universally, where it is possible to manage all affairs asynchronously.