[p2p-research] Workshop on Media Ecologies: Q&A: Sam Rose

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:29:58 CEST 2009

> Right, we might say that the paper folding is stored so other folk or bots
> might fold the paper in that same configuration later on.
> You may not have paper and want to make it yourself? Okay, there's your
> representation, here's where the materials are located. No bots in the area?
> No problem, all of this is in walking distance, and other folk may be
> interested in your project to help place those needed items closer to your
> location.

Nathan, I am sorry to tell you that I personally have little interest
in investing the amount of time that I know it will take to create and
execute the paper folding bot in 3D room demonstration that you are
suggesting here.

I am personally much more interested in putting time like that into
practical applications that can help people, like developing
automation systems for aquaponics and hydropnics, creating protocols
for open source software systems that people are currently using to
talk to each other, creating mobile food processing units for use in
local food systems, things like that.

The idea is cool, but not something that I am interested in investing
time into. In the end, we'd have a robot that can fold paper :-)

> How 'bout EMC? Fenn forwarded this info to the OM list.
> http://wiki.openkollab.com/wagn/Enhanced_Machine_Controller_EMC

I use EMC2 http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/2/4/lang,en/ I agree
it is great!

>> Although, it seems like it would be easier to just use telesurgery
>> robots and cameras if you want to do remote folding! I guess it
>> depends on what the real goal is here.
>
> The goal is to do anything remotely!

Our goal here is to first help people address the basic needs for
energy, food, shelter, and general physiological and psychological
survival using open source software and technology. Retorifitting
existing urban infrastructure, putting vacant land and buildings to
use, localizing food production, that sort of thing. I frankly way too
busy with that work to rise the challenge of the remote paper folding
robot.

>> A more practically immediately implementable example, IMO,  of what
>> FLOWS and open standards can do with regard to flexible fabrication
>> would be to allow people to store and serve multiple parts of a
>> "package" of CAD files, bill of materials, parametrics data, and any
>> other relative data about a technology, or the technologies needed to
>> make that technology, in a distrbuted way (like on multiple servers).
>
> I hope Zach (cc'd) you might have something to say on this with his work in
> CAD repositories (Thingiverse) and distributed manufacturing. You're coming
> to the workshop, right? ;)

Yes, coming to the workshop for sure.

>> These packages could still be maintained by a specific project or
>> person. That project or person would really do the job of "vetting"
>> the contents of that package so that other people reasonably know they
>> can trust it.
>
> It would be best if this aspect were automated, via rates of selection, 'do
> you like?' input requests, or some other automated selection criteriori.

Well, think of it this way, you could make a standard way to represent
a package, and then you could make unlimited applications that add in
functionality like question asking (just as there are multiple
applications that work with debian package management system). I would
not put this extra functionality into a package management system
itself, though.

>> But, the same files could live in many, many packages,
>> each maintained by a specific maintainer. FLOWS gives a standard way
>> of letting a system know that your files or data are part of a package
>> (or to submit for inclusion in a package). Now, you can park your
>> design files *anywhere*, yet they can still be part of a package.
>
> Yes. Redudancy where it counts, just in case a server or two crashes--the
> mesh gots you covered.
>

>> Another practical immediate example is that you could export certain
>> contents of those files to be repackaged as a PDF, and even create a
>> print on demand book from that collection of files. You could actually
>> export a collection of files in any way that is possible through
>> existing open source libraries. A FLOWS based component could also
>> send out all kinds of meta data about the packages. Who is accessing
>> them, multiple materials sources for what the package is made of, etc
>
> Sounds as if that would be a practical implement you can charge these
> proprietarians for royally so as to put the reserve notes to better use:
> meaning: less. ;)
>
> Nathan

Sam Rose
Social Synergy