[p2p-research] Earth's carrying capacity and Catton

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 05:00:10 CEST 2009

I have the occasional peaks at peak oil and the oil drum sites; the only
doomsterism I have seen is the realization of peak oil; for the rest they
are discussing practical solutions for the transition, much in tune with the
rest of the p2p ethos ... most of them condemn the lifeboat strategy and
advocate resilient communities, not different from people here like Sam
Rose, John Robb, etc...

it is not because you see that this system is doomed, that you are hopeless
for humanity, even as you realize that the transition might be hard ..

even if you want to bury in the sand while waiting for miraculous
technologies that will put millions of humans in the deserts, space and the
oceans (yeah, that will happen for sure ...), I don't think any thinking
person will dismiss the possibility of a hard transition out of hand ...

Renewal is a possiblity, soft landing is a possibility, rapid catastrophic
decline is a possiblity, slow decline followed by renewal are a possiblity
etc... These different scenarios have been worked out by post-carbon authors
..

The only one I really count out is technological rapture, as far as I'm
concerned, I consider it the least likely

My most optimistic scenario is: 1) drawn out meltdown sequels for another
10-15 years  2) possible long wave with substantial input of p2p principles,
but still within the context of global crisis; 3) replacement by sustainable
society, in the context of global crisis

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: