[p2p-research] The failure of micro-credit?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 04:28:36 CEST 2009

hi Sam,

I'm puzzled by your 'total' opposition to credit. Even most monetary
reformers/transformers recognize the difference between turnover credit, and
investment credit. They usually say the problem is that contemporary money
conflates them, and that a proper separation is better. In fact, people like
Thomas Greco advocate, convincingly that a mutual credit clearing system
would be much superior to the current money system.

I don't think the bangladeshi women would have access to any pools in the
first place ... However, they could issue their own currency/credit clearing
system for their own exchanges, bypassing the need for 'bank's and
debt-based money.

I've never seen microfinance as a panacea, but from the documentaries I have
seen, there is a huge boost in the dignity and collective identity of those
particpating, at least in the good schemes. Isn't the problem that
microfinance has become commercial, with outfits such as in mexico now
asking interest that is even higher than normal banks?

Michel

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: