[p2p-research] New "real-time" journal

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 02:10:21 CEST 2009

I just re-acquainted myself with Google knol, the platform this
journal is using.  It's pretty cool.

It's nice because it's way open.  Anyone can sign up and submit a paper.

I suppose some might take issue witht he fact that it is Google.

Here's a list of 'nice-things':
Google knol is Open
Google knol is Wide
Authors can add in and update their own bio information
Authors can submit to multiple "collections," the form of organization
for the "journal"
Editing is easy
No or very little overhead for new "journals"
Google indexing

Not so nice:
Google - so, it's yours, but not really
Moderators edit the comments

My own issues -
The journal author claims to be "pioneering" this format, and I
believe that is a stretch
There is a very good chance that you lose your 'knol' when it is
submitted because the "journal" locks editing
If you lose your 'knol' you can clone it back to yours again, if you
like, I suppose

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Lanham<rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Claims to be a possible model for the future...
>
> http://genome.fieldofscience.com/2009/08/opening-up-influenza-research-with-new.html
> Ryan

Alex
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.- Socrates