[p2p-research] Fwd: Information from Communalism: August 2009

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:02:32 CEST 2009

Michel,

I note your sending out a communication copied below on the redo of the
journal Communalism.  Neat idea for a journal...if it was 20 years ago.

I have spent considerable time thinking lately about journals--academic
journals.  I have come to the considered rather than flippant conclusion
that they are absurd.  No one wins.  So the serious question must be
called...again and again if necessary, why are we making these things!?!

I understand they offer a forum for a particular type of writing.  But they
are resource wasteful, first, and of doubtful utility second, all things
considered.  Really they exist to advance a career agenda for academics that
is, by most I talk with, also absurd.  So if this is patently absurd for
most who consider it in the whole, why continue?

I propose the Foundation for P2P Alternatives consider putting on conference
sometime called, "Is Peer Review a Peer Process?"  Maybe this would fit into
one of the buckets you and Athina have on the stove.  I would actually opt
for the more tendenious title of "Why isn't Peer Review a Peer Process?"

Ryan