[p2p-research] Earth's carrying capacity and Catton

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 11:26:10 CEST 2009

Hi Paul,

I'm only seeking to make our alternative ideas, both inspired by
emancipatory desires, more achievable and influential in the current world
settings ...

Michel

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Paul D. Fernhout <
pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> but the argument that natural abundance is just around the corner, because
>> of infinite oil and sunshine is fallacious, an expression of the pleasure
>> principle
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:55 AM, Paul D. Fernhout <
>> pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

>>> http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/nanosolar-begins-production-413/
>>> "Nanosolar said Tuesday it has begun production at its San Jose, Calif.,
>>> facility and has shipped its commercial thin-film panels to its first
>>> customer, Beck Energy."
>>>
>>> And they lie on their web site about shipping products?
>>>  http://www.nanosolar.com/products.htm
>>> """
>>> # Nanosolar Utility Panel™.
>>> Specifically designed for utility-scale power plants, Nanosolar Utility
>>> Panel™ is the industry-best solution for MW-sized PV systems.
>>> A high-power, high-current panel, the Nanosolar Utility Panel™ features
>>> proprietary cell and panel design innovations that enable our panel
>>> product
>>> to have an entire factor more power and to carry 5-10 times more current
>>> than typical thin-film panels.
>>> Available wholesale to select system integrators and electric utilities.
>>> # Nanosolar SolarPly™.
>>> Light-weight solar-electric cell foil which can be cut to any size.
>>> Non-fragile. No soldering required for electrical contact.
>>> Available wholesale to strategic partners.
>>> """
>>>
>>> And the people who just invested US$300 million dollars in them (beyond
>>> an
>>> earlier US$200 million) just now are just complete gullible idiots?
>>>  http://www.nanosolar.com/blog3/#post-138
>>> "As part of a strategic $300 million equity financing, Nanosolar has
>>> added
>>> new capital and brought its total amount of funding to date to just below
>>> half a billion U.S. dollars. ... Last December, we introduced the
>>> Nanosolar
>>> Utility Panel(TM) to enable solar utility power — i.e. giving
>>> utility-scale
>>> power producers the solar panel technology to build and operate cost
>>> efficient solar power plants. The tremendous demand for our unique
>>> product
>>> was matched by the desire to support us in scaling its availability even
>>> more rapidly and ambitiously. ... The new capital will allow us to
>>> accelerate production expansion for our 430MW San Jose factory and our
>>> 620MW
>>> Berlin factory. (Earlier, Nanosolar secured a 50% capex subsidy on its
>>> Germany based factory.)"
>>>
>>> OK, a lot of investors are sometimes idiots, I'll agree. :-)
>>>
>>> But then are the twenty jobs listed here perhaps just for show?
>>>  http://www.nanosolar.com/jobs.php
>>>
>>> So, let's say Nanosolar is just hype. Lots of companies have raise
>>> hundreds
>>> of millions or even billions on hype, sure, though generally in the dot
>>> bubble. Lots of companies have shipped product that later were defective
>>> or
>>> that did not perform as expected. Anybody can put up a web site that says
>>> anything, especially a private company. OK, so for the sake of argument,
>>> let's say it is just hype.
>>>
>>> And let's say that the Google billionaires who funded Nansolar are unable
>>> to do any sort of due diligence like from using a search engine or hiring
>>> someone to do it for them. Billionaires invest in all sorts of nutty
>>> things
>>> like "Cheap Access to Space (CATS)" instead of "Design of Great
>>> Settlements
>>> (DOGS)". :-) And investing in green energy is, admittedly, great PR for

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: