[p2p-research] Earth's carrying capacity and Catton

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 19:20:49 CEST 2009

Paul,

The sun is the overwhelming source of energy for the planet.  No doubt about
it.  But you've got to convert that energy to direct or alternating current
for it to be maximally useful, and that takes conversion either from heat
sinks or from light.  The ocean is the obvious heat sink, hence my interest
in ocean thermal energy conversion (OTEC).  OTEC at scale could answer many
questions...but that is 30 plus years off with no clear economic model and
no hydrogen or ammonia markets to feed yet.

Passive solar is also interesting, but it doesn't generate current.  You
need current to do work--like producing fuels such as hydrogen or ammonia.
Creating warmth or cooling is only about 10-20% of global energy use.  Even
if houses were hugely more efficient, it wouldn't matter that much.  But it
is "low hanging" fruit.

Cutting transportation is highly problematic.  I suspect wind power will be
in large use again within 20 years, but wind doesn't help on land.  Rail
systems are part of the answer, as is hybrid, electric, natural gas and
hydrogen (and maybe ammonia),  but those are years away too.

Wind is also generally interesting but it is counter-cyclical to use (most
wind blows at night) and it is variable everywhere.  So it is a reducer or
helper fuel...turning it into hydrogen would be great, but the plants work
variably and would need to be robotic to make sense.  Still, wind is a
contributor and part of the answer.

At present, ammonia accounts for 1.5% (one point five) of the total global
electricity production.  We don't produce enough of it.  It is
overwhelmingly the most important fertilizer.  Just fertilizer production is
a major energy issue.  Add 2 or 3 billion people to the planet (and we will)
and the problems because 50% harder. Any large model would need to factor in
ammonia production.

Photovoltaic (current from light) is highly problematic so far.  It produces
lots of waste plastics and requires many nasty chemicals.  Plus the
electronics burn out...some over longer times than others, but they burn
out.

The trouble with all carbon liquids is the carbon.  Hence you will need to
convince yourself and everyone else that carbon isn't the issue.  Personally
I think it is the overwhelming number 1 issue.  Carbon is a physical issue,
and so is speculation unless you anticipate a planned economy which hasn't
worked yet.

Nuclear is problematic because of the waste.  I am still an advocate for
so-called 3rd gen nuclear.  Many reasonable and smart people think nuclear
is a major problem.  I cannot prove them wrong.

Reduced consumption is the good strategy, but it is hard without major
controls.  Such social controls have never been successfully applied on a
large scale.  Even air pollution is still quite common...and virtually all
of the low-hanging fruit in that field has been taken, particularly in the
US, Europe and other developed nations.

You are wrong about useful land for productive purposes...it is getting
quite scarce.  Bear in mind that we most also filter CO2 with trees, that we
must provide ecosystems, that we must sequester carbon located in plants and
grounds, etc.  There is little free land left...and desertification is
proceeding at record rates.  The Sahara not long ago had lakes in it. Now
the Sahel moves year by year south.

Can we produce protein for 7-10 billion people?  That's the real carrying
capacity issue IMO you lump under "agriculture".  Right now we do it but at
huge pollution costs--methane is a major greenhouse gas.  Sea stocks of fish
are 1/10 what they were in 1950 (source Wolf Berger's recent classic text *
Ocean*). It will get worse before it gets better.  You are right, much of
the warm Pacific is a desert.  But the nutrients to fuel algae growth are
deep.  You'd have to expend energy and resources to get them to the
surface.  Even algae eats things other than nutrients from photosynthesis.
Protein and water are very scarce resources.  Both require huge amounts of
energy, and both create huge amounts of carbon to create or purify.

So the simple math models are the right road (we seem to agree) but they
need to add up to stable climate, minimal coercion, minimal lost standard of
living, minimal loss of hope for improvements to the poor, and minimal
depletion of resources (i.e. sustainability).  Very hard problem.  Some
things will be part of a complex solution.  There is not obvious answer.
And the prospect of failure is, any reasonable person would have to admit,
quite large.

P2P has a helper role in all that.  Some see it as a primary role.  I hope
the latter is true.  I am interested enough to hang around hoping one of our
collective lunatics comes up with something that matters at scale.  Even if
they don't, mattering locally is, to my mind, noble and compelling as a way
to spend your heartbeats.

Personally I wish a programmer type would produce an open source modelling
tool of the simplicity and clarity associated with Stella which I started
using on the mac almost 20 years ago. We need a graphical modeling
environment that allows simple math models to be visualized as Stella does.
I've long looked for a free/open source substitute but have found none.  I'd
be very interested if anyone has seen something of that sort.

I have long wished for an open P2P math model environment where complex math
models would be built, linked and vetted collaboratively as with a wiki.  I
know of no such project.

Ryan