[p2p-research] visionary design that would show the full potrential of integration of human habitat into environment

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:16:45 CEST 2009

> David Bollier <david at bollier.org> writes:
>>
>>Nahrada cited instances of design visionaries trying to use digital
>>technologies
>>to improve the economic autonomy of communities while enabling them to
>>live in
>>greater harmony with the environment.  Among them:.... [name examples]...

The examples sound beautiful, but (on a seemingly unrelated point) how
will property tax work in these cases?

Our current living environments are are impacted in a severely
negative manner because of property tax that punishes improvements
instead of being weighted against holdings as Henry George suggested.

We would not have sprawl and the cascade of troubles it causes through
excessive transport if we could 'afford' to live closer to each other.

So I wonder if these new communities will reconsider the 'source' of
their internal funding (how they will gather value from their own
citizens to cover costs of their own public infrastructure), and if
not, how they will avoid taxing themselves to death as every other
city does...

Sincerely,
Patrick