[p2p-research] visionary design that would show the full potrential of integration of human habitat into environment

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 09:35:59 CEST 2009

One compelling and iconic yet very utopian example would be Vincent
Callebauts Lillypads, cities freely floating in the oceans whilst having a
flower - like symbiotic exchange with the waterworld. Another would be
Arcosanti, reducing the size of human habitat by commoning into three
dimensional structures (arcologies) and reducing the waste of time and
energy of single family homes, re-opening vast suburban land to the public
whist taking care of it. John Lyle at Pomona showed another form of
integration of living systems with architecture and Habitat in his
landlab, John Todd of New Alchemy built the archetypical "bloodstream" of
water acting as material carrier of nutricients and waste between
organically connected community functions. Village Towns by Claude Lewenz
are built around plazas, making the common place the centerpiece of
habitat.