[p2p-research] Life after capitalism

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Aug 13 06:27:30 CEST 2009

Christian Siefkes wrote:
> it took me some time, but I've published an article about the reopening and
> recreation of the commons in the Keimform blog:
> http://www.keimform.de/2009/08/04/reopening-the-commons-reversing-the-enclosure/

I liked it, very clear, though I wonder if a third option would be possible?
That is for a right to emerge to make a claim against anyone using an
enclosed commons. That is, for example, if a land commons is being mined,
then people would have a claim to some percentage of what is being taken (or
just used) by one private actor from a previous commons. Or, if farmers are
using soil and a common genetic heritage of bred plants (since patented) to
produce fruits, they are privately drawing from what was once a commons (the
soil and the plants). This notion of a tax on the use of a previous commons
(which might be distributed as a basic income equally to all to spend in a
market) differs somewhat from the notion of a shared commons that everyone
can draw from for their own personal use.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/