[p2p-research] Life after capitalism

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:54:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Christian Siefkes<christian at siefkes.net> wrote:
> Hi Alex, all,
>
> thanks for sharing your insights into production models based on a common
> pool, which I found very inspiring! I would agree with Michel's observation
> that profit maximization can easily come into conflict with the goals of
> providing use value and contributing to a common pool. Hence I think such a
> cooperative organization as you propose might operate better on a non-profit
> basis.

Generally speaking, my designs are all 'not-for-loss/profit' or even
better stated as income-for-outcome, like Haque.  Calling it a
business is probably a poor way to communicate that idea ;)

I mentioned in another thread that I've found the discussion about
'living-wages' to be a particularly key piece in understanding how
operations connect with the locale, and how the residents connect with
the operation.

In aiding a transition to the re-opening of the commons, the
discussion helps people understand what 'profit' actually is, and that
working with/within/for commons based
not-for-profit/coop/income-to-outcome organizations is a winning deal
for everyone.

Alex