[p2p-research] While we 'were' on the subject of games...

Matt Boggs matt at digiblade.com
Wed Aug 12 17:41:47 CEST 2009

Eclipse Phase is a pen & paper RPG launching at Gen Con. It's a
transhuman/singularity near future milieu with horror & conspiracy elements
added for mood. I love the quote 'money is for people who don't know how to
take care of themselves'.

- Reputation Economies. In designing the game's material culture, we threw
out the idea of money as a major motivator for characters ("Money is for
people who don't know how to take care of themselves"), instead focusing on
how characters network to get things they need. There are corporate
interests in the setting trying to keep money alive, but we don't portray
this in a good light. We really want to see someone try doing this in a
massmorg, and we're hoping our game spreads the idea around. Reason: massive
simulations of new economic systems in environments like massmorgs may well
be predictive of how they'd work in real life.

- Weird shit. Players can choose to portray a giant transgenic crab with a
cyberbrain run by a red market AGI if they're feeling it.

- Wide synthesis of other transhuman SF concepts. Microfacturing, open
source blueprints for same, personality uploading (leading to virtual
immortality), and a lot of other stuff you'd see in works by Stross,
Reynolds.

- Creative Commons. The game is being released under a CC license.

Link: http://www.eclipsephase.com/