[p2p-research] Fwd: 20 Theses against green capitalism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 03:37:29 CEST 2009

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure that the higher productivity leads to unemployment really is
that radical of the limitation you think it is.

I'm not talking about the structural/cyclical crises of overproduction, but
more fundamentally. Each time such a crisis of mass unemployment was
predicted, it was resolved (beyond a structural presence of say 5%
unemployment).

First, needs are socially determined, and the system makes sure that people
keep wanting the new iterations, keeping the machine running. Second, the
immaterial needs evolve as well, and materially secure people evolve
post-material needs. The productivity growth from the material economy, can
be used to 'fund' the immaterial servicing and sharing. That it doesn't work
is a political/social problem, i.e. neoliberalism has deliberately severed
the connection and social contract that allowed to use the proceeds from
higher productivity, to fund labour, and therefore these new social needs.
If you look at countries with mass unemployment, there are much less an
expression of people not having material or immaterial needs, on the
contrary, they are huge and unmet, but exclusively a problem of the
unavailability of the social surplus.

But I think that despite the different analysis, we nevertheless agree in
the solution, i.e. the basic income, which is exacly a stream originating in
the rich material economy, to fund the immaterial sphere.

I of course also disagree that issues like global warming, and the massive
relocation that you describe as a solution, are the type of 'easy' solutions
that you expect them to be. On the contrary, even in a just society, they
would still be very difficult problems to solve, let alone in a
dysfunctional class society that is geared to the benefits for the few.

And the kind of technological miracles that you expect, like space habitats
and the like, are generations away, there is not an inch of possibility that
they could solve any of our current problems. We need radically different
kinds of technological dreams, that are geared towards the need of the
majority of the population, the farmers for example, and not transhumanist
escapism.

Michel

Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: