[p2p-research] Fwd: Thomas Greco News Report -- Friday, August 07, 2009

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 09:03:28 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Greco <thg at mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 8:41 AM
Subject: News Report -- Friday, August 07, 2009
To: Thomas Greco -- thg <thg at mindspring.com>

 *News Report -- Friday, August 07, 2009*

These past three months in Tucson have been my “Re” time – recover, regroup,
reexamine, retool, etc. It’s been a time for looking inward—spiritually,
emotionally, and physically (ask me about my colonoscopy exam), but I’ve
also been extremely busy doing radio interviews by telephone, preparing
several upcoming presentations, keeping up with correspondence, and adding
content to my blogs. As I get these interviews and presentations processed
and edited, they will be added to my blog, http://beyondmoney.net.

I’ve been blessed in having friends here to satisfy my social needs and help
keep me sane, and in having the use of a comfortable house in which to live
and work (provided by long-time dear friends). Come September, I’ll be on
the move again doing presentations and visits in various parts of North
America. Here’s a partial list of my still evolving itinerary.

Featured presentation. Sustainable Tucson, August 12, Tucson, AZ.
http://www.sustainabletucson.org/

Keynote presentation. Pennsylvania Renewable Energy and Sustainable Living
Festival on Sept 18-20, 2009 in Kempton, PA. The festival is hosted by the
Mid-Atlantic Renewable Energy Association (MAREA).
http://www.paenergyfest.com/general.shtml

Featured speaker. The International Reciprocal Trade Association (IRTA),
October 1-3, Dallas, TX. http://www.irta.com/

Featured speaker. The Economics of Peace conference, October 18-23, Sonoma,
CA. http://www.praxispeace.org/conference09.php

Presenter. In the lecture series titled *Reinventing the World*––*Redefining
Wealth, Rethinking Economics, Reforming Health Care & Rebuilding
Community.*October 26, San Francisco State University, San Francisco,
CA.

Keynote presentation at The Conference on Michigan's Future Energy, Economy
& Environment, Crystal Mountain Resort, Thompsonville, Michigan, Friday,
Nov. 13 - Sunday, Nov. 15, 2009. http://futuremichigan.org/index.htm

*New Dimensions Radio Interview*

Before leaving California in May, I journeyed to Ukiah where I spent a
couple hours being interviewed by Michael and Justine Toms for their
nationally syndicated *New Dimensions* radio program. (See description
below). That program is scheduled to air during the week of September 23-29,
2009 (their broadcast week begins on a Wednesday).

A shorter (11 minute) interview that we did, entitled "Toward a Credit
Commons," is available now and can listened to or downloaded at *New
Dimensions Café*. Go to *http://www.newdimensions.org* and on the left-hand
side click on New Dimensions Café Listen Now!  If you would like to
subscribe to the *New Dimensions Café *podcast which features many of the
guests that appear on *New Dimensions, *it is available for a free
subscription on the home page as well.

The one-hour "flagship" *New Dimensions* radio program, "Investing in the
Bank of You and Me" (Program 3308) will be airing the week beginning
Wednesday, September 23-29. You can hear it streaming on the New Dimensions
website that week for free. You can also hear it on a radio station close to
you during that week. Go to "Listening Options" in their website for a list
of stations that carry "New Dimensions." It will also be available to
download for a small charge. This interview, as well as over 850 others, is
part of their wonderful archive. New Dimensions is working in partnership
with Stanford University Library to digitize their entire archive of over
8000 hours of deep dialogues with hundreds of the most innovative movers and
shakers on the planet.  More hours are added to the archive every week.

*INVESTING IN THE BANK OF YOU AND ME, with THOMAS GRECO, Jr.***

Our financial system is in disarray. In 2008 and 2009 banks and investment
companies have collapsed faster than taxpayers can dish out money to prop
them up. At the same time the United States economy is being depleted as
rapidly as the rainforest, and our global credit is looking as dingy as our
once pristine rivers. But Thomas Greco has a solution. With his fresh
perspective on money, credit, and…well…civilization, he believes we can save
our economy and our planet by reconstructing our financial system—and find
ourselves happier and healthier in the bargain. By reclaiming control over
our money and credit, so that neighbors rather than banks are at the center
of our transactions, we can restore balance to every aspect of our lives.
Mr. Greco tells us, *“We’re facing a mega-crisis that includes several
things converging at the same time. We’ve got peak oil, we’ve got climate
change, we’ve got resource depletion, we’ve got pollution. Our institutions
are failing us—they fail to educate, they fail to provide health care
adequately to everyone. And so we have to take a hard look at what we’ve
been doing and look at new ways of doing things. We’re about to embark on an
existence that’s quite different from the past, a new steady-state economy.
I see it as a more peaceful, more pleasant life for everybody. Hopefully
we’ll see an end to war. We’ll see an end to starvation. We’ll see an end to
deprivation of the essentials that we all need, and an opportunity to
realize our full potential.”*

*Recent Articles*

I recently wrote a couple articles that were published in the web journal,
Alternet. Both are linked from my blog, beyondmoney.net. The first is
titled, *How Bad Will the Economy Get?* It begins with the claim that:

Historically, every financial and economic crisis has been used to further
centralize power and concentrate wealth. This one is no different, and in
fact the moves being promoted by the Obama administration and the central
banks of the Western powers will take the whole world to the pinnacle of
financial despotism — unless enough people wake up and claim their own
“money power.”

It continues with an outline of recent and historical developments that make
the case, but concludes on a hopeful note with my brief description of
existing cashless exchange mechanisms that are not dependent upon political
money or banks. You can read the complete article
here<http://www.alternet.org/workplace/141281/how_bad_will_the_economy_get_really,_really_bad/?page=1>.

The second, titled, *The End of Money: Take Power Back From the Money and
Banking Monopoly*, begins:

The dysfunctional nature of the dominant global system of money and banking
has for a long time been apparent to anyone who has cared to look at it.
Now, in light of the present financial meltdown, it has become painfully
obvious to virtually everyone. What most people have failed to recognize is
that, regardless of the nominal form of their government, their political
power has been neutralized and exhausted by the privatization and
misallocation of credit money.

The political money and banking system disempowers communities and enables a
small elite to use the present centralized control mechanisms to their own
advantage and purpose. It misallocates credit, making it both scarce and
expensive for the productive private sector while enabling central
governments to circumvent, by deficit spending, the natural limits imposed
by its above-board revenue streams. Read
more..<http://www.alternet.org/workplace/141582/the_end_of_money:_take_power_back_from_the_money_and_banking_monopoly?obref=obinsite>

That article also explains how the “Greenback solution” being proposed by
many monetary reformers, fails to address the fundamentally undemocratic
nature of centralized control of money.

Be sure also to view the important imbedded videos featuring Peter Schiff,
Matt Taibi, and Congressman Alan Grayson.

This is a time of transition that requires us to inform ourselves and to
take responsibility for our own health, education, and wellbeing, not in
isolation but in communities of cooperation, sharing, and mutual support.

Till next time…

Tom

Thomas H. Greco, Jr.
PO Box 42663, Tucson, AZ 85733, USA
Website: http://reinventingmoney.com
Blog-Beyond Money: http://beyondmoney.net
Blog-Tom's News and Views: http://tomazgreco.wordpress.com
Photo Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/tomazhg
Skype: tomazgreco
My latest book, The End of Money and the Future of Civilization, is now
available. You can order it from ChelseaGreen.com, Amazon.com, or your local
bookstore.

--
Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: