[p2p-research] Towards a post-scarcity New York State of mind

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Aug 6 16:33:37 CEST 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
> So you would just give the cash to families? How would you insure they do
> not spend it on something else, unless it were vouchers?

As any teacher would say, if they were honest, there is no point putting a
kid in a classroom chair (as far as learning anything useful to the kid) if
the child is hungry, sick, tired, cold, worried about their homelife, and so
on. So, even if parents spend money on the basics, that is not a problem
IMHO and a kid will be better off.

Now, one may question other ways parents might spend the money. But, I'm
also questioning how school spends the money. :-)

As I just pointed out on the open manufacturing list, quoting Gatto:
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/msg/a90bb68a94948038?hl=en&
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/3b.htm
"""
Looking back, abundant data exist from states like Connecticut and
Massachusetts to show that by 1840 the incidence of complex literacy in the
United States was between 93 and 100 percent wherever such a thing mattered.
According to the Connecticut census of 1840, only one citizen out of every
579 was illiterate and you probably don’t want to know, not really, what
people in those days considered literate; it’s too embarrassing. Popular
novels of the period give a clue: Last of the Mohicans, published in 1826,
sold so well that a contemporary equivalent would have to move 10 million
copies to match it. If you pick up an uncut version you find yourself in a
dense thicket of philosophy, history, culture, manners, politics, geography,
analysis of human motives and actions, all conveyed in data-rich periodic
sentences so formidable only a determined and well-educated reader can
handle it nowadays. Yet in 1818 we were a small-farm nation without colleges
or universities to speak of. Could those simple folk have had more complex
minds than our own?
   By 1940, the literacy figure for all states stood at 96 percent for
whites, 80 percent for blacks. Notice that for all the disadvantages blacks
labored under, four of five were nevertheless literate. Six decades later,
at the end of the twentieth century, the National Adult Literacy Survey and
the National Assessment of Educational Progress say 40 percent of blacks and
17 percent of whites can’t read at all. Put another way, black illiteracy
doubled, white illiteracy quadrupled. Before you think of anything else in
regard to these numbers, think of this: we spend three to four times as much
real money on schooling as we did sixty years ago, but sixty years ago
virtually everyone, black or white, could read.
"""

So, to be frank, even if *all* the parents gamble *all* the money away, the
children may be better off. :-( At least in the USA.

But, I suggest, almost all parents will spend that money in ways that
benefit their families, of which investing in a good education is an
important part of hope for the future. (And if they don't, what does that
say about their prior schooling?)

The thing is, schools as an idea have so usurped the notion of education
that we have forgotten what is possible or how many aspects there are to
intelligent kids. Health is a key aspect of a productive intelligence.
Stephen Hawking is stuck in a wheel chair and has a brilliant mind, true,
and aspects of his brilliance may even relate to his physical confinement
(as genius often is a response to unusual obstacles), but in the main, the
healthier people are, the smarter they are. Still, tests have shown that
children of divorced families tend to do better on standardized tests, in
part because they need to be smarter to survive the turmoil. So it is true
that, to the extent families are happier, test scores might decline
slightly. But I don't consider test scores the ultimate arbiter of healthy
intelligence or a healthy society.

I'd suggest, that in general, as a result of wealthier families (as oppoed
to wealthier schools) we'd get happier citizens more engaged with the world
around them (in part because they would spend more time in the world around
them than in classrooms). Out of that would flow many good things. And that
is the ultimate goal of education in a democracy, is it not? A healthy
engaged citizenry?

I know it may not be the goal of a hierarchical state of course, who may
actually benefit from sick uneducated fearful slaves being easier to control.

> Why not a basic income instead of $20k?

I'd prefer a basic income instead, agreed, and at that level in the USA.

This is just a way to put the beginnings of basic income in place in one US
state using the existing social and legal framework we have. And, it
includes the idea of perhaps a class action lawsuit related to
discrimination to force compliance by the state with this plan (if the state
resists what may soon be an absolute undeniable necessity in an age of
jobless recoveries and collapsing economies and massive unemployment like in
Marshall Brain's Manna).

The irony is that this proposal is counter-intuitive to current disastrous
economic policies of low taxes. Those current policies go counter to the
historic boom in the USA from high taxes during and after WWII at a 94%
marginal tax rate (since free markets only function well if wealth is spread
around, so they become more like peer networks than monopoly networks). So,
I have a New York State specific bit of humor in the middle that may be hard
to follow for those not knowing recent New York politics. :-) Tom Golisano
is a billionaire who has been lobbying for low taxes, recently helped shut
down the New York State government for days, and left the state to avoid
taxes. The basis of his fortune is putting accountants out of work through
automating payroll processing, which would be a fine thing to do, except if
the economy collapses because all the wealth stays centralized with Tom
Golisano and the ex-accountants are left unemployed and destitute without a
basic income to get their share of the commons that underlies all this
wealth. So, I tried to reverse his role with that of the current NY governor
who wants to raise taxes, but years in the future, after raising taxes worked.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Golisano
"In June 2009, Golisano took partial credit for the Republican seizure of
control in the 2009 New York State Senate leadership crisis. Golisano, who
had supported a number of Democratic Party candidates during the 2008
election, was dissatisfied with, among other things, the Democratic plan to
solve the state's budget crisis by raising taxes on New York's wealthiest
residents. He orchestrated the defection of Democratic senators Pedro Espada
Jr. and Hiram Monserrate, who voted with Republicans to reinstall Dean
Skelos as majority leader."

I mention the basic income idea later in the essay indirectly, by suggesting
a natural progression of extending this $20K amount to earlier ages and
later ages, all the way up to age 65 or so when Social Security in the USA
starts.

Essentially, it is a way to put in place Marshall Brain's proposal in
"Manna". :-) But starting from New York State instead of Australia, and
without the corporate aspect, but instead using democratic means, including
public law related to schooling.

Or, to paraphrase that famous saying about hammers and nails, if all you've
got is a property-tax-funded public school system, every basic income plan
looks like an education policy. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net