[p2p-research] Fwd: 20 Theses against green capitalism

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Aug 6 14:54:36 CEST 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
> These are important and interesting theses to reflect on. Some initial
> comments in-line

I agree with a lot of this, but I also think is misses some key ideas.

Capitalism's need to grow is mentioned several times, but not explored.
There are at various reasons capitalism needs continued growth (debt-based
fiat currencies, demographic pyramid schemes, etc.), but the most important
issue from a social justice perspective IMHO is that increasing productivity
leads to job loss given finite demand for goods, or at least, that demand,
once saturated, grows more slowly than productivity (since, ultimately, the
best things in life are free or cheap). One fundamental aspect of current
capitalism is that the right to consume comes from income earned through a
job (unless you have a lot of capital :-) as mentioned in the "Triple
Revolution" memorandum of 1964.

Nothing in these green themes addresses that issue of how increasing
productivity puts pressure on the entire social system, given that free
markets may often be great at producing wealth (ignoring externalities or
resource depletion) but markets are also great at concentrating wealth (so,
the free market less and less hears the demands of people at the edges). We
might get some green jobs with a greenwashed capitalism, but we'll still
overall lose jobs from rising productivity and people will starve unless
they have money (or, alternatively, can produce at a subsistence level
themselves, something that is difficult without at least some capital like
land and equipment and raw materials and good health). So, IMHO, a basic
income has to be part of any future approach in order for a capitalist
system to continue to work in the situation of limited or stagnant growth.
Some might call a basic income as a form of charitable "welfare", but IHMO a
basic income is more the idea every human has a claim to part of the commons
-- a commons of ideas and technologies, a commons of biodiversity, a commons
of mineral wealth, a commons of social networking capital, and so on.

Now, if one accepts the idea of a basic income, and that a basic income
eventually should be global, then some of the issues like global climate
change (that those 20 theses are concerned about in various places) are not
as problematical. The global world product is something like US$60 trillion
per year, or about US$10,000 per person in round numbers. If, through
taxation or other policy, every human got half that, so US$5000 per year
(which is not that much in the USA but is a lot in much of the rest of the
world) then things like global climate change would not be that much of a
problem. People would have the money to relocate, or build seawalls to hold
back rising oceans, or they would build new floating islands. The central
problem here is that many poor people are being forced to pay for a negative
externality of capitalism (CO2 pollution causing global climate change
affecting their lives) without having received much of any benefits from
global capitalism.

The fact is, no matter what people say in the media, global climate change
is not a serious problem given our technological capacity. We have the
technology to build new land in the oceans. We have the technology and empty
land in places like the middle of Russia or the middle of the USA to
relocate hundreds of millions of people and build them beautiful sustainable
cities. We have the technology in storm tossed areas to build houses out of
concrete that can take storms. We just lack the political will or economic
control system to realize those technological possibilities. Something I
wrote on that:
"Re: On Climate Change vs. the Singularity"
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/browse_thread/thread/e954d16e32129bb7/183fed4ee1411253?hl=en#183fed4ee1411253

All human efforts produce externalities; for capitalism there have been some
negative externalities (like pollution such as CO2 causing climate change,
or unintentional extinction causing a loss in biodiversity), as well as
positive externalities (the commons of technology has grown, and the globe
is now heavily networked). Ideally, we want to get the benefits of the
efforts and also the positive externalities, but without the negative
externalities. But, if you can't avoid the negative externalities, then, if
the system makes sense at all because it produces so much wealth, one has to
talk about having those who suffer negative externalities get a share of the
wealth to compensate them for that (and that share should be on top of what
they have a claim on in terms of the commons, as well). In human terms, that
would be at least a basic income (and maybe even more). But, with species
going extinct, in Gaian terms some sort of basic income as well as claim for
negative externalities would mean habitat preservation, genetic sampling for
future rebirths in simulation or in new habitats, and the construction of
space habitats for all those species to have new places to live and so be
better off in the long run in terms of survival.

I actually like a lot of green ideas, but the Green party consistently seems
to miss the possibilities of technology as well as some social equity
issues, as far as trying to build on what we have in the best way possible.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/