[p2p-research] Terrafoam and schooling and peer networks (was Re: US/European...)

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:42:59 CEST 2009

On 7/31/09, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

>  It essentially develops the parallels between school and prison, and shows
>  suggests a peer-based economy needs a different educational system
> altogether.

Re schooling/prison parallels, I recommend Edgar Friedenberg's idea of
the "conscript clientele" in The Disposal of Freedom and Other
Industrial Wastes.  In one especially striking passage, he describes
public school textbooks:  unlike any other form of literature, whether
the Bible or the sleaziest pornography, the school textbook is
distinctive in that absolutely no one would ever buy it for himself.
He also points out that, regardless of whose ostensible needs the
public schools are serving, they were not formed in response to any
actual demand for service by the alleged "clientele."

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism