[p2p-research] Cost Recovery (was: Fundable and Michel's Computer)

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 23:54:30 CEST 2009

very important question

and somehow links to a thread I did not have the time to reply to, about a
useful site from national geographic (if I remember correctly) which to some
seemed like 'goood idea, too bad its done by a private company.

I think that what Marc suggests is that some initiatives dont necessarily
need 'investment' from a capitalistc view point, for example such a service
could be provided by a community effort with minimal return (sustainability
model), for the benefit of the community alone, and not for profit

I still believe there is a role for investment, - but the problem that I
have (and maybe others)- is that  traditionally the role of the financing
business is designed to provide much higher returns to the investor of
capital, than to those who provide other factors of production, such as
'labour', or other resources

I hope for an economic model where all the factors of productions will yield
even returns, and social capital will be valued at par with financial
capital, then the role of investment will be less speculative (providing a
resource) and the nature of businesses and the economy could be healthier,
less greedy,
more considerate and sustainable, where capital should be allocated where it
is really needed for human development and quality of life, rather than
solely for accumulating marginal bucks
which  indirectly leads to waste

just a principle,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com>wrote:

> At the donation link Marc Fawzi wrote:
>
> > There is room for list members to start a similar service and charge only
> for the cost of maintaining the site.
>
> This would give the low price we seek while still covering costs
> needed to maintain the service...
>
> But if profits will not be taken, then who will invest?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Paola Di Maio,