[p2p-research] article request on closing of online services

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:59:13 CEST 2009

Part of such an article is covered by this:
http://www.longtail.com/the_long_tail/2009/03/terrific-survey-of-free-business-models-online.htmlor
at least if he had been able to show the fluctations over time,
instead
of just the conditions now.

So long as the business model is to try and create a land rush on free
services, in order to sell your company to a larger company, then we'll see
cycles of growth and decline, since giving all of this away for free was not
the goal of the service, but rather attracting an "audience" of users. The
"audience" is the "commodity" among the larger companies.

Some of the services just failed outright to attract that audience, while
others did, were sold off, and consolidated. This rapid change is reflective
of the nature of the network people itself. It really cannot be controlled,
contained, or confined for very long.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I wonder if no one would be interested in writing an article about the
> closure of online services by commercial companies, making the logic of p2p
> services quite strong,
>
> for example, before Geocities:  numerous other Web 2.0 services have been
> closing - Pownce, AOL's Homesteads, Yahoo's Jumpcut, Google's Lively, Google
> Video, Notebook & Jaiku
>
> --
> Working at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University -
> http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html -
> http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI
>
> Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
> http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net -
> http://p2pfoundation.ning.com
>
> Monitor updates at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens
>
> The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by SHIFTN,
> http://www.shiftn.com/

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
AIM: Str9960
Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samrose
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://socialsynergyweb.org/network
http://socialmediaclassroom.com
http://localfoodsystems.org
http://openfarmtech.org
http://notanemployee.net
http://communitywiki.org

"Long ago, we brought you all this fire.
Do not imagine we are still chained to that rock...."

http://notanemployee.net/