[p2p-research] On unschooling

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:52:38 CEST 2009

> .. and the more I pushed the more frequently I got on their shit list.

Know the feeling, but thats because people dont like to be challenged
and when you do , you are something to be purge from the system

that goes back to your truth quesiton btw
have you demostrated a correlation between level on knowledge and desire to
search for the truth?
I am waiting for those results btw...
the prblem will be defining knowledge and truth, but I think you can do it
marc

> [...]
>> http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2006/02/phaedrus-on-church-of-reason.html
>>
>> I can relate, from personal experience, to the scenario "Phaedrus"
>> describes.  When I was in high school, I was signed up for
>> Pre-Calculus Algebra against my wishes, with my complaints brushed off
>> dismissively:  "Well, you need math to get any kind of a good job
>> these days."  At the time I was interested in history and political
>> philosophy, and read extensively in those subjects on my own time.
>> When my own reading interests competed with the hated Pre-Cal for my
>> time, I wound up dropping out of Pre-Cal with a failing grade, and
>> hated math for years afterward.
>>
>> Then a few years ago I wrote a book defending the classical political
>> economists' labor theory of value against marginalism.  My review of
>> marginalist literature focused mainly on the Austrians because of
>> their relative freedom from higher math apparatus, and largely
>> neglected neoclassical econ after Marshall.  I sorely felt the lack in
>> the first edition of the book, and decided it needed to incorporate
>> the neoclassical version of marginal analysis.  So now, after more
>> than twenty years, I'm reteaching myself algebra and trig so I can
>> pick up enough calculus to read 20th century econ.  It didn't become
>> interesting to me until I perceived its relevants to my own,
>> self-determined needs.
>>
>> Another anecdote:  A couple years ago, I saw a sign at a local
>> bookstore announcing it carried Watership Down and the rest of the
>> public schools' summer reading list.  Thank God, I said to myself,
>> that we didn't have mandatory summer reading lists when I was in
>> school.  I first read the book when I was about 40 or so, and loved
>> it.  But if I'd been forced to read it against my will, via an act
>> that I regarded as school bureaucrats stealing summer time that was
>> rightfully my own, I'd have hated the book and cursed it to my dying
>> day.
>>
>> I can't count the number of instances when I was confronted with
>> something before I was ready to assimilate it, and then turned around
>> years later and eagerly absorbed it when it became relevant to my
>> interests.
>>
>> The problem is that coerced learning based on someone else's agenda
>> can be pretty efficient at instilling a hatred of "learning," as much
>> so as if that was the actual goal.  But then I've almost always been
>> the sort of person who instinctively hates anything assigned to me by
>> some authority figure sitting behind a desk (genuine work is to jobs
>> as genuine learning is to schools).
>>

>> --
>> Kevin Carson
>> Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org
>> Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism
>> http://mutualist.blogspot.com
>> Studies in Mutualist Political Economy
>> http://www.mutualist.org/id47.html
>> Organization Theory:  A Libertarian Perspective

Paola Di Maio,