[p2p-research] Fwd: THIRD WORLD UNIVERSITIES FORUM

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:40:41 CEST 2009

Pamela

Most of the things your write below are exactly what I wanted to say but did
not have time to articulate, in relation to the role of unis and lecturers
etc

quick comments
1.hopefully they have open boundaries, meaning that we do not have to 'go'
to interact with them

2. learning pertains to life, and the fact that you are not an academic does
not mean that you dont know someting about academica, academics tend to be
ver narrow minded cause they know extremely well their domain, and are
totally ignorant of many other things

3.i do believe in self directedness, but I would continue to emphasise the
need for becoming acquainted with the body of literature. I mean, i would
expect anone who is learning a topic to familiarise themselves with
everything that there is to know about it, including the standard sillabus.
however what I see is that today professors and all tell their students what
*they* consider the version of the truth, thus leaving the student under
tthe impression that everything elese dos not matter or is false. I hope in
the future students will be able to put together what their professor says,
and compare it with what other professors say, and then become self directed
in what they consider sould be pursued further

4, I see change happen from the top, but a lot is 'wasted' due to systemic
reasons, of which I would like to discuss in more detail when possible. i
see web based technologies already in place offering the greatest potential
for change from the bottom up, and people not using them. looks to me that
the processes and procedures need to be revised

Paola Di Maio,