[p2p-research] On unschooling

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 03:58:18 CEST 2009

Kevin, there is much merit in your insights here, I think.

John Taylor Gatto explains the history of forced schooling, and the
attitudes that extend into Universities, in *The Underground History of
American Education* [1] where he argues that education in the US is largely
meant to create a caste system, and has largely succeeded in doing this.

2 page sumarry from Digital Youth Research by Mizuko Ito et al [2] also
outlines the problems with coercive education, based on research about how
kids actually go about learning.

Some of this education is already shifting to smaller networks of mutual
mentors, open research and development enthusiasts, and others. I am
directly involved in forming mutual mentoring for people interested in
creating commons-based and networked business systems. We are also engaging
youth by creating a mentoring network where youth realize their
possibilities beyond "jobs and careers", and realize how to employ open
knowledge networks, open license design, and open source software to create
new form of youth self-employment, rapid decision making, collaborative
intelligence and civic engagement. Adults mentor, but projects and energies
are directed by youth.

While traveling around and taking to students and teachers in schools, we
discovered that youths often have little awareness of their possibilities.
And, we discovered that teachers and administrators are focused on antiquted
problems, like "declining enrollment", and the assumed need to close
schools, cut back on "costs" etc. Our proposal to schools is to do exactly
the opposite of what they are currently doing:

   - Instead of closing and demolishing unused schools, use the spaces for
   indoor hydronic and aquaculture food production, and flexible fabrication.
   Students can use the spaces to found businesses.
   - Switch focus from training students for careers with corporations, and
   compliance, to giving students liberty to learn from each other, and from
   innovators in their community.
   - Destroy the misconception that the only way to make money is to charge
   people for abundant goods that can instead be released under an open
   license, and exponentially innovated upon. Instead, help students to learn
   how to innovate, to find and serve ever-emerging niches within their local
   systems (whatever local means to them).

   1. John taylor Gatto, “The Underground History of American Education -
   John Taylor Gatto,” http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/index.htm.

     2.   “digitalyouth-TwoPageSummary.pdf,”
http://digitalyouth.ischool.berkeley.edu/files/report/digitalyouth-TwoPageSummary.pdf
.

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
AIM: Str9960
Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samrose
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://socialsynergyweb.org/network
http://socialmediaclassroom.com
http://localfoodsystems.org
http://openfarmtech.org
http://notanemployee.net
http://communitywiki.org

"Long ago, we brought you all this fire.
Do not imagine we are still chained to that rock...."

http://notanemployee.net/