[p2p-research] Universities Irrelevant by 2020?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:32:40 CEST 2009

undoubtedly the present system will be under great strain,

but I wouldn't discount the power of social demand, higher education is at
the heart of the social contract, and the allegiance of the whole middle
class depends on it,

Michel

On 4/25/09, Kevin Carson <free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/22/09, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you had asked me in 1990 whether GM could be on the verge of
> > bankruptcy and irrelevance, I'd have said you were delusional.  I'm sure
> the
> > horse shoe-ers on Main St. in Palo Alto in 1905 thought they had work for
> > life.
>
> A lot of it depends not so much on the trends in conventional
> education and in technical alternatives for networked education, taken
> in isolation, but in the larger economic environment.
>
> I'm thinking of a series of cascading crises in which gasoline in the
> U.S. goes over $12/gal., the supply chains of large corporate
> manufacturers either collapse or start frantically shortening and
> relocalizing, the large hierarchical institutions that provided the
> main market for university grads dry up, hollowed-out states lack the
> fiscal resources to fund universities at anywhere near the present
> level and the securities in private college endowments become
> worthless.  And given the current economic environment and Peak Oil
> waiting in the wings to return, this is all quite plausible.
>
> --
> Kevin Carson
> Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org
> Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com
> Studies in Mutualist Political Economy
> http://www.mutualist.org/id47.html
> Organization Theory:  A Libertarian Perspective
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/12/studies-in-anarchist-theory-of.html

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com