[p2p-research] Are e-books likely to disappear, was: Universities Irrelevant by 2020?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:37:57 CEST 2009

Hi Marco,

A license to a property is a token--a currency if you will.  That token
should be portable amongst those who are interested in the currency.  The
ultimate portability of a currency token is a commodity (e.g. gold).
However, commodities get lost, damaged, burned, stolen, etc.  So they have
problems too.  Books are often stolen and the commodity corrodes rapidly
with use.  An e-book is a token that can be reloaded or
transferred...assuming the currency network is set up as a p2p open currency
framework.  Over time, given alternatives, Amazon would have to respond to
alternative token readers.  I see nothing preventing that.  If they resist,
open source alternatives will ensue.  They probably will anyway.

Ryan Lanham