[p2p-research] The Internet Is Absolute Democracy - Be VeryAfraid!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:14:14 CEST 2009

Hi Marco,

I did read the article, and it could of course be the journalist, but it
comes across as quite stupid in my own view,

a kind of "wouldn't it be nice to have the gatekeepers back in charge'

this kind of mentality leads nowhere,

the internet is a vast area of multiple information sources, used by people
of vastly different cultures and informational skills,

that we need a vast effort to increase such literacy seems obvious, but
these regular panics about the unwashed masses are really counterproductive
and a waste of time in my opinion ...

Michel

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 09:28:30 AM +0100, Wittel, Andreas wrote:
>
> > seems that now the debate moves on to the next stage. from
> > ridiculing these claims towards an expression of real fear that this
> > democratization could happen indeed.
>
> Michel wrote:
>
> > now they're saying everybody thinks the same on the internet?
>
> I don't really know what to answer because I have the feeling that
> both of you either haven't read the whole article or have mixed who
> says what.
>
> For example, they (Thompson and Alderman) are not "now saying
> everybody thinks the same on the internet". *I* said that, but simply
> to share an (absolutely instinctive, unjustified) feeling that this HP
> article and other recent threads here are somehow connected.
>
> And (at least) Alderman doesn't invoke Internet control to protect the
> unwhashed masses. He doesn't fear democracy, as in "everybody
> **actually** using their own brains in the best possible way,
> individually, to make real sense of things and build a better
> world". Quite the contrary, actually.
>
> Marco
> --
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how
> software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com