[p2p-research] Order .. is boring

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:36:05 CEST 2009

For a long while now, maybe several years or even decades, I lost track, I
have lived in relative self-enforced chaos simply because I get very bored
with predictability and routine.

Obviously, to get paid (the kind of money I used to get paid) I leveraged my
expertise living in chaos to launch creative transformations at the
companies I worked for.

But at some point I could no longer take it anymore and decided to live for
the moment .. .and during that transition I wasnt working for anyone for a
couple of years and eventually found myself homeless and now back working
for someone although with more freedom at lower pay

I find myself spending 80% of my time thinking out loud, debating, and
expressing myself through the things, ideas, music, etc that I find funny,
interesting, odd, awful, etc

And yet I find that what I do in the rest of my time (the 20%) is infinitely
more magical (in this case iPhone development, working on several apps at
once) in that the time I supposedly "waste" allows me to make huge
evolutionary leaps in the design and ideas

So it's the opposite of what Google allows their employees to do (they let
them dedicate 20% of their time on their own projects - or at least they
used to) ... I think letting employees dedicate 80% of their time to
whatever they want to do and 20% to the task they sign up for AND then
giving them full freedom in designing the product or solving whatever
problem AND have their salary be based in large part on the success of the
product/solution in the market then they would have breakthroughs every
single day, IMO.

If I ever was to get funded again and build an R&D team that's exactly the
approach I would take.

It makes sense to me. I'm not sure it makes sense to anyone else.

Just wanted to share it and see if anyone else is living in the same state.

--

Marc Fawzi
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Marc-Fawzi/605919256