[p2p-research] Universities Irrelevant by 2020?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 04:22:39 CEST 2009

Well, Michel, I think you know or know of George Siemens.  He and Stephen
Downes and others aren't saying things all that far from what this guy Wiley
is saying.  If you had asked me in 1990 whether GM could be on the verge of
bankruptcy and irrelevance, I'd have said you were delusional.  I'm sure the
horse shoe-ers on Main St. in Palo Alto in 1905 thought they had work for
life.

Acceleration is real.  In labs now they are move terabytes a second through
wireless.  IBM has said Moore's law can go on for at least 2 more
decades....extrapolating (looking at what Microsoft is planning for in their
labs) you are talking about enormously fast machines with incredible data
absorbing capabilities...no use in building them if they can't be built at
prices people can afford.

Something's got to give?  Who needs a library?  Who needs a lecture hall?
Who needs a dorm? It might all become an exercise in "those were the days"
type sentimentalism for the past.  Are universities become Disneyland?

Ryan