[p2p-research] Universities Irrelevant by 2020?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 04:14:00 CEST 2009

In 11 years? Ryan, that is delusional ...

It takes generations for this type of change to occur

we're barely starting to talk about peer and self accreditation, there are
no sedimented practices yet

of course, more and more people, like us, will learn more and more outside
channels, finding universities irrelevant for learning (which is why I'm
hesitating so much to do a phd, the only benefit being social recognition,
not learning per se), but for the mass of the population, and the mainstream
institutional world, there will be a long mutual adaptation, until new trust
forms are sufficiently developed for general acceptance of learning.

one should never confuse one's own situation, with the general reality;
things will change, and sometimes non-linearly, but I think it's a very safe
bet to say universities will be there in 2020; not only that, seeing from
Asia, there growing like hell, (just as newspapers by the way, there's no
crisis here, on the contrary)

Michel

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not the only lunatic....